Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Art In Odd Places Festival, NYC oct 25


A story about nature and the city.

When I sent this proposal in to AIOP, I was pretty sure they wouldn't take it so I never worried about the logistics of finding a log in NYC. Or, for that matter, getting there.

Well, I flew into LaGuardia Friday night and drove up to Bear Mountain to see if I could find a log. I stayed up in the hills and in the morning it was off to find a log. I am driving and running around in the hills, searching until I found the perfect log. (a big shout out to the people who maintain trails). After rolling it back to the car and getting it into the car (grunt). Meanwhile, I'm seeing deer, wild turkeys, and bobcats.

I hop back in and turn on the radio and off to the big city, bright lights. An easy drive with a bit of getting lost in NJ and I am on 14th Street looking for parking. 45 minutes later I decide to park in a lot. Dump the log on the sidewalk and drive right in. No one says a word as I take out a piece of rope and a huge pair of tongs. They notice, but are polite or worried I'm insane with a huge pair of tongs.

Now I get pulling. A few blocks and I am on 14th street around 10th Ave. moving east. By the time I get to 5th Ave or so, Paul Benney has joined me (yea!), which is good because I have neglected to eat all day, so I am tired. We get pulling. Paul is an animal. People take pictures. People say, "you getting punished?". People pay no attention whatsoever. All told, very fun. Three people try it. Some guy named Will pulled most of a block. I have to remember to send photos to him…

Well, we got to the eastern end of 14th st. and it was still early, so we went back. Back through the farmers market, past the sort of crazy guy on the phone to his mother, to around 7th Ave. Lunch called. Good Food Café. Lunch won that call.

After eating, we felt good. And finished. The log was left parked next to a bunch of bicycles. A few hours later I wandered back to see it and it was gone. Someone in NY has a nice piece of wood that is very flat on one side.

No comments: